“Cool” is a word with many meanings. Its old meaning is used to express a temperature that is a little bit cold. As the world has changed, the word has had many different meanings.
“Cool” can be used to express feelings of interest in almost anything. When you see a famous car in the street, maybe you will say “It"s cool.”You may think, “He"s so cool,” when you see your favourite footballer.
We all maximize (扩大) the meaning of “cool”. You can use it instead of many words such as “new” or “surprising”. Here"s an interesting story we can use to show the way the word is used. A teacher asked her students to write about the waterfall (瀑布) they had visited. On one student"s paper was just the one sentence, “It"s so cool”. Maybe he thought it was the best way to show what he saw and felt.
But the story also shows a scarcity (缺乏) of words. Without “cool”, some people have no words to show the same meaning. So it is quite important to keep some credibility (可信性). Can you think of many other words that make your life as colourful as the word “cool”? I can. And I think they are also very cool.
- 1. We know that the word “cool” has ________. (本题分数：3分)
- A：only one meaning
- B：no meanings
- C：many different meanings
- D：the same meaning
- 2. In the passage, the word “express” means“________”. (本题分数：3分)
- 3. If you are ________ something, you may say, “It‘s cool.” (本题分数：3分)
- A：interested in
- B：angry about
- C：afraid of
- D：unhappy with
- 4. The writer takes an example to show he is _________ the way the word is used. (本题分数：3分)
- A：pleased with
- B：strange to
- C：strange to
- D：careful with
- 5. In the passage, the writer suggests (暗示) that the word “cool”_________. (本题分数：3分)
- A：can be used instead of many words
- B：usually means something interesting
- C：can make your life colourful
- D：may not be as cool as it seems